Wednesday 9 January 2008

Distant Delazzaro?

Through my maternal line I have found family called Delazzaro. As far as I can tell the name is not Maltese. I have purchased the book "The Surnames of the Maltese Islands" and its not present there.
Researching where the name is from is proving difficult, I have come across a few different ways of spelling the name such as Dilazzaro, D`lazaro, De Lazzaro, Delazzar etc.
I have concluded that the name is possibly of Italian origin, probably from the Saint, Lazarus.

Interestingly I found this article on Wikipedia

Order of Saint Lazarus

The Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem is a religious/military order, purportedly dating back to the First Crusade. The Order is run by two distinct channels of authority, referred to as the Malta Obedience and the Paris Obedience.

The Order of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem originated in a leper hospital run by hospitaller brothers, founded in the twelfth century by the crusaders of the Latin Kingdom. It was originally established to treat virulent diseases such as leprosy.

and their insignia is the Cross of the Order of Saint Lazarus

1 comment:

Moosengale said...

In 2007 the Paris and Malta Obediences of The Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus rejoined (after 180+ years) as one.